Monday, July 21, 2008

*Sigh*

Well, I planned to go see Batman yesterday in IMAX to have a bit of escape from reality if you will, and since I am really short money from all that is going on one of my best friends paid for Kim and I to go, and agreed to take us out for dinner afterward, more on that later. I had called Mom as I always do in the morning (her time) to check up on her sleep and to tell her to have a nice day and she sounded really slurry with her words. As I recollected she also sounded a bit slurry the day prior when she had told me she had not slept because the place she was staying, "Manor Care" in Spokane had trouble with their air conditioner. I had contacted the Director (Jamie Miller) of the building and felt like he was being genuine when he said he would send a maintenance person down to investigate. I was obviously misguided. Last week when my mom had misplaced the call button and had placed a call to me at 5am because she needed to go to the bathroom and no one was answering her calls I spoke to a very nice reassuring woman (Sheri Kubu) who was the "Administrator" answering my email by phone and she had the nurses pin the call button to mom's pillow so that she could locate it readily. Unfortunately her director is obviously not as responsive and the overnight nursing staff even less so. I received a  total of 3 calls from my mom's cell phone while I was in the movie after the 3rd call I got up to call back as typically she will call and leave a message knowing that my phone is my work phone and I may not always be available immediately. When I called it was strange to have Beth (My sister) answer. She sounded hurried and agitated when she explained that she was checking mom out of the facility that last week when she checked on her Mom was fine but today was an entirely different story, I explained that since I was 2000+ miles away I trusted her judgment to be the eyes and ears to make the decision on the situation. She explained that Mom had been neglected and without going into details, did not appear to to have been cared for the night before. Beth said she had informed the nurses that she would be checking Mom out and that she would work everything out at home. She seemed determined. After the movie, which was great BTW however the sound in the theatre was horribly balanced, I called Mom back to get details. Beth and her family had already brought Mom back to he home and she was getting a bath when I called. *Sigh* Well, I have always been a firm believer in the "everything happens for a reason" theory so hey, this must be part of the scheme. My group of friends and I headed around the corner to a Mexican restaurant and had really bad service and okay food. We chatted small talk about the movie, special effects, acting jobs, plot lines etc. Afterwards, we parted and Kim and I headed home. At home we were restless and decided to watch Batman Begins before bed. After the movie I called my mom's cell again to say good night and it went to voicemail. Then I tried my sisters home phone, and finally her cell and all voicemail. I must admit I was a bit paranoid at this point but I attempted to contain myself. I lie in bed for about 20 minutes and attempted to call the numbers again. I finally got a hold of my sister who explained she had taken Mom out for some fresh air on a walk. (in her wheelchair) I was relieved and spoke with Mom and Beth for a few minutes then after saying goodbye I attempted to sleep again. For obvious reasons sleep did not come readily and after much thought and attempts at head clearing I finally did sleep exhausted. Today I am very thankful that my work, and my bosses are all very understanding friends and co-workers and that my situation at work is what it is as this gives me the time to compose myself and do things like write this letter to you my other friend to share my world and get it off my chest. I hope you have a great day.

No comments: