Friday, September 26, 2008

just arrived Friday Night

Lovely, that’s how my Mom’s smile is. I arrived tonight and she was asleep. This is a good thing as she hasn’t slept all week. I issued orders today to let her sleep all day if she needed to and apparently she was brought outside for at least a little while by Gram wanting her to go out front. I can tell she needs sleep. She woke up and called for me saying she was cold. I then covered her up and turned the light out. I no sooner walked back into the bedroom and she called again to go potty. I removed the blanket and sheet I just placed on her and the pillows under her foot and arm and proceeded to swing her legs around. We did the customer count of one, two, and three and on three I go nothing from her. I mean nothing. No lift off the bed. No ability to stand. No muscle control to sit up. Nothing. Then I said Mom looks like you have nothing for me, to which she replied yep. SO I wrestled with her pajamas and paper pants and got her on the potty. I sat back on the bed and sat her up straight and told her I loved her. I kissed her and she kissed me back and gave me a hug. Then she asked for a Kleenex. I thought she was going to blow her nose and instead she tried to wipe with it. I explained to her that she had not gone yet and had it drop the Kleenex in the pot then I said so I guess you don’t really have to go do you? And she said no. So I tried to get her off the pot but she was completely dead weight. I have not had any training on getting her clothes on in the bed yet and boy was it awkward. I resolved to call Kim and have her come over and give me a hand. She was going to come over tomorrow with Miranda but I need someone to help with Mom’s clothes while I hold her up. I would love to tell you how strong, and brave I am but the truth is it’s very scary. It has only been 1 week and she seems to have declined so rapidly it feels like hospital déjà vu all over again. In the hospital as you might recall me saying in an email to the group, when she didn’t sleep she went into a weird robot like state. At the hospital it was scary enough seeing her like that but now I am the care giver and its fricken scary! I made the decision after this weekend if I can’t get her to sleep and if she doesn’t improve that we will need to get in touch with hospice and start to make the arrangements to get her moved in over there. Either way I may contact them just so they are aware and prepared.

  I am so very glad that Teeny decided to come down this weekend. Looks like I am going to need her for certain! This week for me flew by pretty quickly as I had some days of actual work. Now I am here on the weekend and BAM it’s like I just drove my truck into a brick wall. I don’t feel like thinking about it anymore so I am gonna go try and check email, facebook, and my alumni website and maybe play a little fate to relax a bit. I’ll check back with you later

No comments: