Saturday, September 27, 2008

Saturday Night - No Fever

Sleep. It’s so important and most of the time we take it for granted. Mom managed to get about 7 hours straight last night, which is a record. It also made a dramatic improvement in Mom’s condition she went from partial “robot” to her normal talking self. I personally think that our society has been a bit warped in recent years and we work longer hours to make ends meet and our weekends of sleeping in seemed to have ended. Sleeping in is waking up at 8am instead of 6 or 6:30 big whoop. I know I am just as guilty as the next guy but getting sleep in 1 ½ increments, like mom has been doing this last week ain’t gonna cut it.

Now today after her sleep I got to be scared for another reason. Mom’s good leg is swollen and it hurts her. After dinner Kim called Dr Morales office and he called back  and suggested we head into the hospital. Two things you should never forget about the emergency room.

 

  1. It will always be cold if you are the patient
  2. You need to have all of your personal belongings with you
    1. Wheelchair
    2. Change of clothes
    3. Jackets/Socks/Hat
    4. Something to snack on and or drink would be a plus
    5. Pillow and blanket
    6. Magazine, Laptop, MP3 player or something for the accompanying person to have to do while we wait

Fortunately other than making mom change into warmer clothes which I should have done, and not bringing our wheelchair, I remembered the rest. We arrived at 7:10pm I am guessing it will be close to 9:30pm before we see the Doctor. I’ll let you know of course. I remember one time going to the emergency room with my friend Tim when he broke his arm and we waited for 6 hours. Surprise! We just saw the ER doctor who did a quick overview and Q&A. Basically said they would be doing a sonogram of the leg to check for a blood clot and check her cumamin levels. Her blood pressure is always low which works in her favor and fortunately for me it runs in the family.

 

*Yawn* I realize that I am pretty tired right now. The only cool thing in here is this really large like 40” computer monitor they have hanging from the drop ceiling. I’d like one of those for my PC at home, well maybe anyway it might actually be too big unless I had a wireless keyboard and mouse and could sit on a big comfy couch, not our current one mind you we need a new one. I want to get one that has a recliner built in so that I can watch TV in style.

 

Okay so Jamie the sonogram nurse just came and took us for a sonogram and the news is not great she has a blood clot all the way down her leg. We came back and they had ordered an EKG. Our nurse and Tina and she seems really nice as she does things slowly and she cares about Mom being cold and comfortable which is also very good.

 

So the ER doctor asked if I was caring at home and whether or not I wanted to continue to and we said yes then we learned that because she is already taking blood thinner there isn’t really any other treatment to do except the elevation I was already doing at home. I asked about her pain and they will check with the primary care doctor on the phone and see if we can get some pain meds. That’s about it. I am gonna see if they can get me a compression sock or something or if I even want one. For her condition. Okay so the sock is a go. They are now looking up what to give her for the pain then we are outta here.

No comments: