Tuesday, August 12, 2008

day one of care at home

Okay, I’m sitting here watching a chick flick (The Land Of Women) with my mom asleep in her bed at my grandmother’s house during work hours. . I would like to shout again for how grateful I am about my work situation. I am very lucky.  I am dressed in my uniform for work and drove over in my work truck as we do not have any care during the day lined up for mom yet. It’s very hard to find care and most is way out of our budget. We have found a lovely lady for nights and it is $14 an hour. She left at 8am and I came over slightly after to take up duty. It’s unbelievably difficult to care for your parent, the feeling is one of awkwardness and an internal battle dealing with the fact that you expect your parents to always be strong as that is the role they played in your entire life, and now the role is reversed on when you care for children and they need personal hygiene one merely has to pick them up and move them over to a changing table, lift their legs to wipe etc. you get the idea. Having to cope with pajama bottoms and panties twice an hour is a bit tiresome. Other than that small fact it is fine. You have your emotional moments of crying and doom and gloom thoughts and such but for the most part it something you can tolerate. Well at least that’s how I feel on day one.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

PS the movie wasn’t too bad but it does involve a cancer patient (Meg Ryan) which in my current situation resulted in mom’s tearful thoughts…

No comments: