Friday, August 22, 2008

strange

I went to the office this morning for our bi-weekly meeting. It wasn’t even really an interesting bitch session. I did get a nice toasted bagel and some orange juice out of the deal and I got to see and chat with my friend and boss, Brian, so that was good. I also got a new gas card as my company switched fleet companies. Afterwards I made a quick dash to the bank to deposit some money in mom’s account and cash some checks at my bank, then to Gram’s.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

 

Okay so I am sitting here at my grandmother's and my great aunt was in a car accident a couple of days ago she has some back issues (no surprise there) but fortunately has seen a chiropractor and a lawyer. She just called though and said the MRI she had indicates a spinal fracture which accounts for the pain and they sent a taxi to get her and bring her to the doctors. This news of course has catapulted my grandmother into a tailspin and now her focus has shifted high gear into worrying about my great aunt with an almost strange possession and a disregard for my mom. Funny thing though since mom has been here Gram has spent so little time visiting with her that when I got here this morning and asked her to sit in there with my mom and have her toast and coffee together she actually sat in there for 20 minutes and that has been the longest time she has spent with my mom since she arrived. After the phone call from Nita, Gram has smoked 3 cigarettes and complained every time that with all the stress she hates having to go outside to do so. Another oddity about that is that when I walked in this morning I detected cigarette smoke which I had not smelled in the house for several days, so either I noticed it being away for a day OR Gram was once again smoking in her room. When I asked my Aunt about it (She was doing laundry) she said she though Gram was smoking in the house and she too smelled it when she arrived this morning. One would think that if your daughter was spending her last days in your house, that you might be able to change your habits with some sort of sympathy and constrained complaints. I am pretty certain I would anyway…

 

SO I migrated back into my Mom’s room to watch TV more specifically the recorded Olympics I set for her. She is slowly learning the remote and I am pretty proud of her for it. I have to call back my financial planner whom I tasked with finding out about how much long term care costs as I DO NOT want to be in the same position my Mom is in when I need care… More on that later.

 

I understand Mom did not have a good night last night which is partly due to the fact that she slept almost all day yesterday. So today’s mission is to keep her awake we shall see…

 

No comments: