Friday, August 15, 2008

Day Three

Well we actually got a little sleep last night. Mom was prescribed a painkiller and a sleeping pill. Mom was so tired that during dinner she fell asleep in the wheelchair. It was frightening as I could not get her to awaken. I brought her back to her room and put her to bed. She only woke up every two hours to use the bathroom. I was thankful for this as we did not have care arranged and I had to spend the night again last night. I needed to get some sleep this time. She did pretty good. This morning we had the Baycare Home Health Nurse by at 9 to check her vitals and stuff, take some blood and ask a truckload of questions. They will come every week to prevent a trip to the Doctor. This afternoon we will go to the neurologist for a check. We had a decent lunch today I made her cheese and crackers and I tore apart her leftover Subway BMT and rolled up the meat and some ham and cut up some cheddar, a piece of celery. She thanked me for the celery. Funny what touches us.

Last night as I was lying in the guest bed I realized that it was a mirror of my normal sleeping habit. I sleep at my house with my head facing North and on my left side and in this single bed I was head South on my right side. I pondered this for quite some time.

Mom is now tired and is going to take a nap before we head out to the doctor when I finish writing I am heading to the store to buy a couple of cans of Ensure to see if she likes it. The nurse suggested mom get some sort of supplement and recommended Ensure as an easy way to get it. I hope she likes it. Kim’s mom drinks the stuff as well. It doesn’t taste too bad considering its chock full of vitamins. The nurse also said she would have her supervisor check with mom’s insurance company to see if a Home Health Aide is covered even partially. If it is we may be able to use the Baycare Home Health Aides service and get 24 hour care for mom. This would lighten the load on me considerably and then Kim and I could just cover Friday night and Saturday all day saving even more money which is much needed.

Just got off the phone with Kim she will pick up the Ensure/Boost for me which is great, in case Mom needs me. She is coming by for her lunch.

That’s today so far…

 

No comments: